Monday, October 12, 2009

Chili & Cornbread

I found this recipe last year when Michael was asking for a good ol' pot of Chili. When I am in search of a recipe I usually turn to my Mom or Paula Deen. So, I found this recipe for "Jamie's Chili" on Paula's site.

Now that I have become addicted to food blogs I have several new sources to look for recipes but this Chili is still an old favorite!!!

I mixed up a box of Jiffy cornbread to go with!!! I love that Rotel makes a special can of diced tomatoes just for Chili dishes called "Chili Fixins Rotel" If you can't find it at the store the regular Rotel will work just fine.

It was a nice warm treat on a cold rainy day!!!










Chili and Cornbread from Jamie Deen and Jiffy


  • 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I chose to leave out of this batch)


  • 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed


  • 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed


  • ground cumin


  • 1 (28 ounce) can whole, peeled tomatoes


  • 2 cup chopped celery


  • Chili powder


  • 1 package chili seasoning mix


  • 1 small can tomato paste


  • 1 can chili beans


  • 3 cans Chili Fixin Rotel


  • 1 green bell pepper diced


  • 1 medium onion, diced


  • 1 lb ground beef and sausage, browned and drained

Brown ground beef in skillet and drain. Spray large pot with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper, and celery and saute briefly. Stir in the diced and whole tomatoes. Add cumin and chili powder, to taste, and cook for about 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the beans, browned meat, and chili seasoning. Partially cover, and let simmer for 4 hours

Serve with Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and green onions.

2 comments:

Monica H said...

I just made potato soup, then later in the week if it's still cool, I'm making chili.

Don't tell anyone, but Jiffy cornbread id my fave!

Lissaloo said...

Yum, nothing better than chili and cornbread on a winter day, yours looks awesome! I love Paula's recipes :)

 
Blogging tips